Looking for something specific?

Monday, June 23, 2014

Featured #battgirls ( Late June 2014) Roslyn Atwood


Featured #battgirls-  Late June 2014
Roslyn Atwood
"Wedding Gown Quilt"

About Roslyn

No one in my family in Australia ever quilted, though the women were all very talented seamstresses and I was well schooled in dressmaking, drapes etc. learning to sew on my Mum's Singer treadle which my brother now has. I think I nearly flunked Home Ec. in 7th. grade because I had already invented my own methods! I made my first quilts in 1974, one for a niece and the other for the baby I was expecting, our youngest son, then I took a bit of a break when we lived in Germany until I began again in 1982, making a QS quilt for my parents, which I tied. When we moved to Phx. in 1986 I met a woman at church who has become my lifelong friend. Leslie is an accomplished quilter and her Mother before her, in fact when her Mom died Leslie gave me one of the two Featherweights her mother had used and I treasure it! 

With Leslie's encouragement I soon became addicted and learned to machine quilt on my domestic sewing machine because I was much too prolific a piecer and way too impatient for  hand quilting. Ultimately it became too difficult to manipulate large quilts on a domestic machine and I acquired my first longarm, a Gamill, in 2001. Within a year I began to quilt for others and in 2007 I sold the Gamill and purchased the A-1 Elite.  My family has been the recipients of many quilts and I make quilts for everyone I know who has a baby, a life threatening illness or just needs a quilty hug! I make Quilts of Valor for Wounded Warriors and as CO. Coordinator for Home Of The Brave Quilt Project, I make Civil War replica Soldier's quilts for the families of The fallen. I also take commission work and I am a lifetime member of Fabricaholics Anonymous, in rehab for life! My husband says I take up most of the home with my craft, but it's really not quite that bad, just one bedroom for my design studio and three quarters of our large loft for my longarm and the associated and necessary tools !


The Wedding Gown Quilt Saga



 Roslyn’s client, Andrea, gave her  the challenge to turn her mother's vintage 1960’s wedding gown and five dozen vintage handkerchiefs passed down from her mother and grandmother into a beautiful memory quilt.


Roslyn knew she needed to be extremely delicate with this gorgeous silk gown and all its tiny buttons and lace. Her meticulous planning began by deciding how much fabric could be salvaged and how to go about laundering the gown in the gentlest way. 

Her technique turned out to be a success and soon Roslyn was ready to start ironing and brainstorm how she could turn all the salvaged fabric into a quilt top!




After a long night of sewing , can you believe that Roslyn had enough energy to write about the piecing process in her BLOG? To create an even more luxurious drape, Roslyn choose to use Quilters Dream Orient. This unique blend of silk, bamboo, Botanic Tencel® and cotton is our softest batting available. It quilts like butter no matter if you are machine or hand quilting it. Read more about the advantages of Dream Orient in our Batting University blog.




In order to stabilize the handkerchiefs onto the quilt top without showing the stitches on the backing, Roslyn used the floating the top technique. Need a visual on what that means? You can see actual video footage on her blog of the process.  Once approved by Andrea, Roslyn was thrilled to start binding this beauty!  You can watch this step in another video of hers.


The finished product


We hope Roslyn will blog about Andrea's reaction when seeing the finished quilt! We will have to stay tuned...

 Keep up with Roslyn Atwood


If you would like samples of the Dream Orient or any other product, please contact us 888-268-8664. Looking for chance to become the next Featured #battgirls, click HERE for more information! Looking forward to your submissions. :)

The original 






Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. I am honored to be a "Batt Girl" for Quilter's Dream. The product is first rate and I love the ability to choose, recycled, 100% cotton or one of the other varieties for every quilting need.
    Evry time I have reason to call QD I have had the very best assistance and advice from people who obviously love their jobs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for such a sweet compliment Roslyn! You did a fantastic job turning this gown into such a special memory quilt. This quilt will certainly be treasured and loved :)

      Delete
  2. I am an honored recipient of one of Roslyn's beautiful quilt which she made for my husband and I in 2007. It's a treasured possession, made more so because of the special woman who made it for us. Roslyn is truly gifted in the vision she has for her quilts.
    Vicki De Werth

    ReplyDelete