Monday, July 7, 2014

Featured #battgirls (July2014)- Got Kwilts?/Richla Ramsey




I made my first quilt when I was pregnant with my first daughter 8 years ago.  I had to stop working due to complications and decided to take a beginning quilting class.  Several quilts later, I was hooked.  I did my research and decided to start my own longarm business.  Pretty funny, since I am such a tomboy and never liked to sew!  Next to playing tennis, it is now my favorite thing to do.  I have a new studio, 2 Longarms and can't wait until I get "Thelma" and "Louise" working each day.  

This spacious colorful studio is sure to inspire the creative!

Richla's Inspiration:

I am truly inspired everyday by the women and quilts that walk through my door.  I can not believe how many talented and creative women are out there. I'm just waiting for that day when a man brings me a quilt- I know they are out there. I find it amazing that I rarely work on the same quilt twice!  I LOVE what I do! My favorite thing about quilting is how the batting, thread and quilting process totally changes a piece of fabric and brings it to life. I love how my clients always light up when they see their finished quilt and how it changed.  I truly believe that Dream battings make all the difference. 


Her technique:

 I started using multiple layers of batting because I was trying to make a quilt feel like my Grandmas' quilts.  Plus, my family never used the quilts I made because they were too thin. If I could get 3 layers of Dream Woolunder my hopper, my family would be very happy!  

2 layers of batting:
Dream Cotton (on top)
Dream Wool (on bottom)

 I have found that mixing the battings together on a single quilt can change the feel of the quilt and also help me manipulate shapes on a quilt and make it very dimensional. I have many clients who now ask for double layers of batting and are not afraid to mix it up!  

How to achieve this look:

If I decide to mix Cotton with Wool or Puff, I always put the cotton on the bottom.  This allows the Wool or Puff to fill in on the top. I also try to do more dense quilting around the shape I want to accent, so the Wool or Puff will fill in the open area.  The first time I did this, I was concerned because the quilt looked so puffy, but now I love working with double layers. 


2 layers of batting:
Dream Cotton (on top)
Dream Wool (on bottom)


Double layer of Dream Cotton


Keep up with Got Kwilts? Richla Ramsey:


Click HERE for her longarm class schedule.
Visit Richla's Blog for more helpful tips and inspiration.
Follow Richla on Facebook.
Email: gotkwilts@comcast.net

***********************************************

How about that studio?! I don't know about you but now I have the sudden urge to clean my craft space....maybe. Don't forget to follow and find Richla for more interesting techniques and upcoming classes from the links above! Remember, you can always give us a call if you need samples or have any questions. We are always looking for the next Featured #battgirls , so submit your projects and you could be our next feature blog post! 

Happy Quilting!
The Original




Follow on Bloglovin


















5 comments:

  1. Double batting seems to be the new trend, and the more I see it, the more I like it! It's double the fun for quilters to quilt, and double the pleasure for Quilter's Dream too! Interesting that Richla puts wool on the bottom... and I put mine on top. Well, she's a longarm quilter, and I'm a domestic machine quilter, so I wonder if that makes any difference. We're going to be hearing more and more about all this, I'm sure. And, I hope!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Linda! I agree with you on the trend and I as well find it interesting that you both have different techniques on what batting you put on top vs bottom. Maybe someone who comes across our comments will take the challenge and let us know :)

      Delete
  2. I love the battgirl features! It is fun and interesting to learn how quilter's are using batting for creative expression. I have considered using the double layer technique for years. I am finally making samples and testing several Quilter's Dream battings. A quilt sandwich of QD poly and D Puff on top is ready to go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dena we are glad to hear you enjoy reading this segment of our blog! That is exactly the purpose of featuring #battgirls, to inspire and learn new techniques that you may have not considered! We hope you have fun playing with your samples and let us know if there are other products you'd like to put a needle to. Don't forget to share your projects. We love to see what everyone is working on! :)

      Delete