Monday, August 12, 2019

Featured Battgirl // Emily Tindall (Homemade Emily Jane)






When I was 19 years old my grandma taught me how to quilt. It was the summer after my freshman year in college and I was staying at my grandparent’s house for a few weeks. During the time I spent with them, we pieced a whole twin size quilt top! I later had my local long-arm quilter do the quilting for me.

I love that quilt to pieces, especially for what it gave me – the love of quilting AND an amazing hobby to deepen my relationship with my beloved grandma. I never really stopped quilting after that first one. From the living room of my first apartment, to the dining room table of my sorority house, to the sewing room in my first home with my husband, one thing has been constant: a deep need to always be quilting.






Once I realized the cost of having a long-armer finish my quilts I quickly came to terms with the fact that I was going to need to learn how to do that part myself! I did a few free-motion quilts, and even more with my walking foot, but lately I have totally fallen in love with the steady, therapeutic slow rhythm of hand quilting. When I first started trying out hand quilting I had very little knowledge of different batting types, but it was my love for hand quilting that spurred me to seek out the best batting for a comfortable, lightweight feel that worked great on hand quilting –  Quilters Dream Orient Batting.



It is a blend of fibers including Silk, Cotton, and Bamboo and has a super luxurious feel! It's low loft, lightweight, and cozy as can be - which is necessary for a Florida girl like me! The absolute best part about Quilter's Dream Orient batting is that you can quilt as dense as you like, or up to 8" apart, which makes it incredibly versatile! If you've never tried Orient batting, I highly suggest you give it a go on your next quilting project!


If you want to see more images of the quilts I make with Quilter’s Dream batting, please subscribe to my blog and connect with me on Instagram & Facebook!


Happy Quilting!


No comments:

Post a Comment