Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Oh, Fransson! Aviatrix Medallion Quilt-Along: Thread and a Prayer


One of my favorite designers is Elizabeth Hartman over at Oh, Fransson!  I have both of her books and really love her style (she's also a Janome girl!)  So I was checking out her blog a few weeks ago, eagerly awaiting the release of her next book, Patchwork City.  I noticed a post about the Aviatrix Medallion Quilt.  I loved it.  Clean, modern, angular lines and it looked like a great skill builder quilt.  Then she announced a quilt-along (QAL) for this pattern.  I had to participate.

I will be posting every Wednesday my progress with the QAL.  Finishing with my choice of batting as well as posting the finished project.

The fabric selection process was a bit difficult for me.  I have trouble committing to a pallet, and I always end up second guessing my color choices.  Thankfully, I work with some very talented, crafty ladies.  Their input was invaluable.  I followed Elizabeth's suggestion and headed over to Design Seeds for some inspiration.



The bulk of my fabric selection was purchased at Hawthorne Threads with a few additions from Pink Castle.



To be honest, my piecing skills are not the best.  I'm constantly looking for projects that will test my skills and ultimately make me a better quilter. Elizabeth wasn't kidding when she said the middle block is the most challenging!


The middle diamonds were not impossible; I just lowered the speed on my machine, went slow and used the fabric guide that came with my Janome 7700. I had no idea my Janome came with a fabric guide until I saw Elizabeth's.



The part that gave me the most trouble was adding the grey background pieces.  Everything sewed on nicely, but when I tried to square up the diamonds to the grey background, it became apparent that my diamonds were a bit wonky.  And you know how things go from there.  With each additional piece added, my wonky block became flat out wacky!



The end result is a 14 1/2" wavy block with points that mostly match up and are held together on a thread and a prayer. :)  If I'm up to it this weekend, I'll give it another go and make a second medallion.


Wavy Block.

Completed block.

Most of the points match.


SEAMS....don't judge me too harshly :)

Have you participated in a Quilt-along?  Who was the designer?  Any quilting tips so my blocks don't end up so wonky?  If so, tell me in the comments.  

If anyone is interested in trying the center medallion block, Elizabeth posted a larger 24" version on her blog. Head over to Oh, Fransson!  and check it out.



Follow on Bloglovin

3 comments:

  1. I love your star! I have not posted my star yet as my pieces are not perfect...but I will. I absolutely fell in love with the quilt as soon as I saw Elizabeth's, and started on mine as soon as I had the pattern in hand. Now, the row of x-plus's gave me a fit. I do not know why. Once I finished them, it was like I was free again! Your work is really beautiful--I would, if I were you, starch that puppy to death and see if it behaves itself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Debbie!
      "the row of x-plus's gave me a fit." - I can see that. I'm worried about the last border .... I think the entire quilt is going to give me a fit. :)
      "starch that puppy to death" - I'm going to drown it and scorch it into submission.
      Share your link in the comments when you post yours, I would love to see your work.
      Erin

      Delete
  2. This looks great! I absolutely love your colour palette. I found the star tricky too but hey, it's done!!

    ReplyDelete